Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas comes to Münster!

Frohe Weihnachten!



Christmas is just a few days away.  Even though our shopping is mostly done and the tree is trimmed I still feel as though I have so much to do. We are lucky enough to have a special visitor coming for Christmas. Jef, the first exchange student we ever hosted is coming from Brazil to visit with us over the Holiday before he heads off to Nice and Paris. We have also been  invited to spend the days just before Christmas with friends in Lage.  

A little note about  Christmas in Germany. The first day is the 24th and the holiday ends on the 26th. I have been told that the first day is spent with extended family, Christmas day with your immediate family and then extended family again on the 26th. Presents are traditionally opened on the 24th.

As I was looking for ideas to make some Ornaments to fill out our Christmas Tree, I discovered Pintrest. The picture above is a Polish Porcupine Star. I repurposed some pretty paper that wrapped some treats from the bakery around the corner. It was a little time consuming to make, but it is beautiful. Below are two other ornament designs that were simpler to make. I think the folded stars look very charming on the tree. I was not as impressed with curved ornament.






Normally, we don't have a present extravaganza for Christmas and we still didn't this year, but I wanted to make this a special experience this year. There are a few extra presents and a ton of their favorite candy, American as well as German. Today I am going to pick up a few boxes of American breakfast cereal (which they have not eaten since August). The boys have been such good sports about being thrown into an entirely new and strange life. I am proud that they are such troopers. There will be two very happy boys Christmas (25th) morning.

Wrapping up the Weihnachtsmarkt
We also went to the Weihnachtsmarkt again to find the last few treats we had yet to taste.


These are apple rings dipped in a batter and then fried. The apple parts turns soft and light, but not gooey, and is covered in a cinnamon (Zimt) dusted dough. These are reason enough to come to Germany at Christmas time.


Above is a plate of sauteed mushrooms with half a brötchen and garlic sauce.


We bough the boys something a little more kid friendly. Above is a beef sandwich with coleslaw in the bun - East Coast style! I have had my eye out for a Waffle booth and finally found one.


A few days ago, we went to the Weihnnachts Markt with a few of Russell's colleagues. One purchased these fried cauliflower pieces and we of course had to try them as well. I don't want to think about the calories I consumed that day. Almost everything is fried! And covered in a thick sauce!


What could be better than fried cauliflower smothered in garlic sauce? How about battered and fried camembert served with three sauces: berry, whipped cream and horse radish.

Someone asked me which was my favorite, but I really can't say. Each thing was so different from the others and all were delicious. If you ever have the chance to visit a Weihnnachts Markt, just try everything!


Russell and I celebrated our 15th anniversary on the 20th. I can't believe the time has gone by so fast. I am very grateful for a wonderful life.

Finally, the tree is trimmed and the presents are wrapped. We usually have a traditional dinner on Christmas Eve with family or friends. Since we are in Germany, I have decided to attempt at least some traditional German food. We will see how it goes in the next post. Until then, Have a very Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment